Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Build your name before you publish a book.

When I decided I would write a nonfiction book I had no idea what would be involved. But after reading several book (I tend to research everything to death) I found that before you even write you should build up a presence and have a follow. According to the book Author 101 Bestselling Book Publicity: The Insider's Guide to Promoting Your Book--and Yourself traditional publishers will not give you a second look if you are not some type of expert in your field or have developed a following.



You should do speeches and conducting seminars, blog radios and be an active participant with social media before you even seek a publisher. I found out that you have to be your own publicist as publishers don't promote anymore, Writing Nonfiction, 5th Edition: Turning Thoughts into Books (Writing Nonfiction, 5th Edition: Turning Thoughts into Books )says it's only on rare occasions for big name personalities. I thought about this and decided they were pretty much right as I see a lot of writers now turned authors that have found it hard to get there book promoted.

When writing a book proposal you should include information such as how you can help with promoting your book. Researching this information will help also if you intend to self publish too.

So I wanted to look up some sites where writers can go for more information on how to promote for themselves whether they're self published or have a publisher.

  1. Promote your book by starting a group
  2. Becky's Book Reviews
  3. Great site - Simon and Schuster offers tips on marketing
  4. Where to promote your books
  5. How to Promote Your Self-Published eBook (for free!)
There are so many resources available for free to help you promote yourself. The important thing I've learned is that you have to show that you're willing to promote yourself to make sure that your book has the best opportunity to become successful. I know we like to believe we're not in this for money but the publishers are and they hesitate to look at unknown authors. We can change this by showing that we want to help in our own promotional efforts. 

13 comments:

  1. Great point - is it true for fiction as well? Sad to say, but it seems like anybody with a known name can write a book nowadays (no matter what that book is about).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this too. This is one of the reasons I started blogging Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that info. I've read that very same thing. While a large part of the reason is because of budget constraints, another part is because they want to make sure the writer is passionate about their work, But, as LittlePeopleWealth pointed out, it makes it difficult for first timers to get noticed, let along published to begin with.

    I recommend the book Guerilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business by Jay Conrade Levinson. I think a lot of the info would also apply to selling a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creating a writing platform before our children's books come out is what started our whole blogging process. There's definitely a lot of work to do these days. What is your book about that you are writing? We love networking with other authors.
    A great book to add to the writers toolbox is Viral Explosions by Peggy McColl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHaHa, so funny to see how many of us are equally aspirational about becoming book-writers and are starting by blogging. Christine Fonseca has a great book, can't remember the name off the top of my head but something along the lines of "Writer Mama, How to Raise a Writing Career alongside Your Kids."

    I know some folks in publishing (not "USEFUL" folks, just folks, LOL - I don't have an agent's name to give out) and it is tough out there in the industry. But, the iPad and the Kindle might be turning the tide again and allowing nimble houses to remake themselves to fit the new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think publishing has been practically overhauled by e-Books, and I'll be surprised if print books aren't a small niche by 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great suggestions.
    Actually, I'm working on this side. The real trouble in the building your name phase is to find time to work to the book while blogging,networking, preparing presentations. It would be great to have suggestions on how to balance the visibility issue with the writing productively and how to remain focus on the real work (write).

    Being a foodblogger, my main source of valuable suggestion is "Will write for food".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some good points. I have a blog, but I'm not sure if I would ever be able to write a book. Good luck in your adventure.

    Stopping by from #31DBBB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've thought about writing a book too. It is a complicated process. Great thoughts in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is like an aspiring writer's dream! Thanks for the friending on blogfrog, I am so glad!

    I am currently working on a book, and I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive really enjoyed your blog. I am now a follower. Thanks for following my blog, also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just found your blog through The Blog Frog, and am glad I did. Very good information! I too, am an aspiring writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some great information on your blog! FOllowing you back from Mama's little Nestwork :o)
    chat later,
    natalie

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"