Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Dream

Like most bloggers I want to be a writer or rather an author. A writer can be described as one who writes, so for me all bloggers are writers. But can I call myself an author, no because I'm not published. Though I have written stories on FB and had numerous followers. I also have had my own online column and my own byline on two different websites.

I usually tell people I'm a finance writer by career and just an all around writer by passion. My career worked out differently than I thought it would. From the time I was in seventh grade and went to visit "The Cleveland Plain Dealer" I knew I would work as a writer there and carry my own column. The closest I got was working in their credit union as a bank teller.

At 19 I was working with numbers, even in high school I had accounting/finance classes. I'm considered gifted with numbers hence working as an accountant and tax preparer for over 17 years. I began to hate seeing numbers. I mean really "HATE" them.

So last August pregnant with my 7th child I told my husband that I was quitting my job to work from home and write. Finally it was my time to pursue my dream and spend more time with our children.

Well it's been harder than I thought because it's nonfiction. You need to have an established platform and marketing plan before you even start to write. I'm finding this part a bit daunting. But I refuse to give up. I do work while I'm at home as a writer but again it's all business related, plus I have a part time job working at home.


So I rarely sleep between the kids,  work and getting things in order to make my book successful. I want these kids to know that you never give up on something you really want (long as it's legal).

But I need help getting organized and getting those goals down. I'm not as orderly as I'd like to be as I know this will help streamline things.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment today!

    I loathe numbers too...I'm a word girl through and through...kudos for you to start your plan in motion with such a busy family life!

    I have no doubt that your first book will get published!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you! There's a lot to learn from those who've gone before us - I've been looking @ others who are successful on their own terms, in an authentic way. Christina Katz & the Business Goddess (can't think of her name right now) are two that come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm positive you'll get there, just don't give up on it.

    Although, I have to say (me not being a mum) after 7 kids I really don't know how you find the time! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! What an inspiring story! I struggle to find time to write with three kids...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly an inspiration! Thanks for showing us that it IS possible to go after our dreams, even with a house full of kiddos and full time jobs (in addition to the full time work at home)! :) Don't forget to come back and visit me at www.blessyourheartyall.blogspot.com. I enjoyed both this site and your joy of giving birth site (which I joined). Thanks so much for the referrals and I hope to see you again soon on my blog!
    Take care and much love!
    Malin

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey someone who agrees we are not authors until we are published.
    I am well under way in the writer side of things.
    Love you blog
    just spreading some late 31DBBB/SITS love around.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining Mom's Tree House, and yes, don't ever give up or compromise your dream. Stay motivated and everything will work out, you'll see. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read my blog? Our journey sounds very similar. lol

    As far as the marketing is concerned, make sure you check out my eBook Marketing and Publicity for the author. It will answer most of the questions you have.

    Here's the link: http://bit.ly/aIs5t1

    Let me know how I can be of assistance.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"