Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

National Novel Writing Month

Will you participate? I found out about this through a writing class I'm taking online. I was so excited about the group when I signed up today. They have regional groups that are surprisingly local. You meet up at libraries, local bookstores and online to receive encouragement and support.

The National Novel Writing Month website has a platform for all writers during the month of November. The object of course is just to write, don't worry about grammar and editing. They will have lots of opportunities to gain support from other members. The cool thing about it too is that you can join other regions and meet people all over the world.

The goal is to write 50,000 words during the month. They have a tool where you can update your word count daily. You can also add excerpts of your book to share and receive input from other group members. You may be just as surprised as I was at the huge amount of participants. But the benefit of knowing you're not alone and others may be struggling as well is encouragement. Plus they will help motivate you to making it by the end of the month.

I bought Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days for myself in June and still haven't finished a book. Hopefully this tool along with NaNoWrimo will be encouragement enough. Please join me in finishing a book next month. I'd love to share this journey of successful writing.



Add to Technorati Favorites

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...while I don't think that I'd be the best candidate to participate per se...can I be your cheerleader on the sidelines???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic, thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2010 will be the 3rd year in a row I will have done NanoWrimo. I absolutely can't wait. It is the biggest boost to cranking out a first draft of a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started in July so I don't know if I'm eligible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even non-fiction writers often try to book, but once again faced the same dilemma of where to start a massive number of words.

    employment screening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I would love to be that dedicated, but 50,000 words would be a TON for me to squeeze out of my brain. If only I had more time! Good luck to you though! I'm looking forward to hearing how you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did NaNoWriMo about 5 years ago...before the kiddos. I really enjoyed the experience even though I never did go back and edit what I wrote. I did learn a lot through the experience. Perhaps I will give it a try again this year. Good luck with your effort!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"