Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day One: Stop Procrastinating



It couldn't get any simpler than this, just stop procrastinating. However, we know this is easier said than done. Overcoming procrastination is something most of us battle with daily. Some of us do this at a minimum and still manage to complete their workload. Then there are the ones that are probably like me and procrastinate so much they feel as if they accomplished very little if anything at the end of the day.

Procrastination is defined as the act of procrastinating, putting off or delaying an action until a later time.

Some suggestions to battle procrastination:


  • Use the To-Do list - Don't just write it but refer to it repeatedly. 
    • For example, I have taken to updating my to-do list daily by either adding more or taking off what I've completed.
  • Manage your email, set times when you'll check and answer messages. 
    • I get around 300 emails a day, and if I stop and check and answer my emails all day I can spend more than three hours just catching up on messages. 
    • Prioritize what you have to get to immediately and what can wait. Take advantage of your email programs. Google has a filter option where you can have emails feed into a folder. They also have a filter that marks emails important and separates them from the others.
  • Don't just organize your work schedule but also your home as well. 
    • Being a mom of seven and working from home can get hectic. Learning to fit in my house, work and schooling has become more than necessary. To-Do lists work for the home as well.
Day One: Workshop Activity

  1. Write down everything you do today, and how long it takes. This may seem crazy, but this is where you'll first begin to see what you do all day. It'll also give you an idea of what you can do differently. 
  2. Think about why you procrastinate? We all have a reason.
Come back and share what you've found out about your day. What do you think of your daily activities? What have you discovered about yourself and procrastinating?

You can also join the discussion on blogfrog workshop. Click here to join the community.

Post the banner onto your blog. You can also tweet about it using #timemgmt

Photobucket


Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower, will you follow me?
    http://songberries.blogspot.com/2010/10/fall-follower-giveaway-tour.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! We are all guilty of it...some days are worse than others!

    I'm following along now! Can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips. Thank you for this post. I am going to definitely give it a try especially the part about designating a time to check your emails. So many times at work, I find that I get distracted by email and only accomplish a fraction of what I intended for the day because I am busy responding to emails all day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I'm guilty of procrastination. Giving myself guidelines is working.

    I'm constantly checking email. I'm learning not to leave it open, I've been able to accomplish more. You'll notice the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"