Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Stephen King: America's Favorite Author

I thought it was interesting to see who the top five authors were from the Harris Poll. While Stephen King sits at number one I was a little shocked that only one woman made the list. The survey was conducted online with over 2,700 participants and all reading categories were included.

The top five:

No. 1: Stephen King
No. 2: James Patterson
No. 3: John Grisham
No 4: Nora Roberts, who also writes as J.D. Robb
No. 5: Tom Clancy


I've read at least one book from every author on this list. I also own just about every book written by Nora Roberts. Stephen King's book "On Writing" should be on the bookshelves of every potential writer. The material is invaluable. The tip about adverbs will save you countless time on editing. 


On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Stephen King: On Writing




Among the top five fiction genres:

No. 1: Mystery, Thriller and Crime
No. 2: Science Fiction
No. 3: Literature
No 4: Romance
No. 5: Graphic Novels

Among the top five nonfiction genres:

No. 1: History
No. 2: Biographies
No. 3: Religious and Spirituality
No 4: Political
No. 5: Self-help

Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd have to agree with you...I also own a good majority of Nora Roberts' books, or I've at least read them! I would be interested in seeing the next five names...like a top ten. Maybe Sandra Brown would make it then??? I like her too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never read a Nora Roberts book. I might have to check one out. My favorite author did make the list..Yay! John Grisham has been one of my favorites since high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra Brown didn't make the top ten. But she too is one of my top favorites.

    Chanel, you should try Nora Roberts, she has romance and mystery. Some of her books have been made into movies on Lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"